Wednesday 21 May 2014

Out in the wilderness

After I left school I played on my own for many years, occasionally at local events on the Isle of Wight (probably very badly), until 1980.

In the 1980's I started volunteering at Medina Theatre in Newport, where I learnt how to rig and focus the lights and run a lighting desk for a variety of shows. Also, I started to master how to mix the sound for live shows. There was an amazing range of artists that came through the doors in the theatres early years. It was a real challenge at times. But it was here that I met a pianist (Helen) that eventually became my wife.

In the early 1980's we spent many days going through all sorts of music and often recording them onto good old trusty cassette tape. We just used to set up four microphones and let the tape run. Amongst all the recordings were some real gems. Lots of covers and some 'very' originals, mostly just busked from a few scribbled notes. There are a few surviving tapes, that have been put onto CD for posterity.

The one thing that this partnership did was teach me how to accompany others and really learn to listen while I was playing with another musician. Helen's father was/is a jazz musician and it was listening to him that the penny dropped that I loved jazz. He introduced me to all sorts of recordings. He also had a portable vibraphone. Ok, when I say it was portable, it was about two octaves and fitted into a case/box, but I would challenge anyone to carry it any distance.



The sound a vibe makes is just amazing and some of my favourite jazz musicians are vibe players (Milt Jackson/Gary Burton).

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment