Tuesday 15 July 2014

Can you have too many guitars? Should you pay thousands for a guitar? What's in a make/model?

I have always bought guitars on a budget, which means seeking out second hand or junk shops, looking through the classified ads in the local paper and searching the internet. I have picked up some amazing guitars over the years. Some I still have and others have gone by the wayside.

I first purchased a Yamaha acoustic guitar back in the early 90's, and this proved to be a really lovely instrument.


Then in 1999 I picked up a Yamaha nylon string classical guitar, mainly because the other Yamaha was so good. The classical guitar was advertised with an outboard  pre-amp (which is what I really wanted), but I found that the guitar was excellent and I still use this today. The preamp was rubbish!


I fitted both these guitars with Fishman pickups and they amplify/record beautifully.

So when I was looking for a fretless bass, I went to a Yamaha dealer to see what they had. I ended up with a very fine instrument - an RBX270F. It even had fret inlays, which helped enormously in the early days of playing it. It was also very affordable!

Recently I found the fretted version of the fretless (RBX270). It was on an internet site. It looked brand new and cost a lot less than half the price of a new one.

I am really sold on Yamaha instruments. Good value for money, beautifully made and sound good too!





No comments:

Post a Comment